Post-Operative Instructions Following Root Canal Treatment:
Root canal treatment may take 1-2 appointments to complete. For optimal comfort and healing, please follow the post-operative care instructions carefully.
ANAESTHETIC: After each appointment when anesthetic has been used, your lips, teeth, and tongue may be numb for several hours after the appointment. Avoid any chewing or drinking hot liquids until the numbness has completely worn off. We do not want you to injure yourself.
DISCOMFORT: It is normal to experience some discomfort for 7-10 days after a root canal appointment, especially when chewing. It is not uncommon for the tooth to have a dull ache immediately following a root canal. This should subside within a few days (or even weeks at sometimes). Swelling and Gum Tenderness in the affected area is also very normal. For longer appointments, jaw joints or muscles may be sore. Use a hot or cold compress to relieve discomfort.
PAIN MEDICATION: To control discomfort, take pain medications as recommended by the doctor. If you were not prescribed a pain medication, we recommend taking over the counter Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil or Tylenol. If discomfort cannot be controlled with these meds, please call our office.
ANTIBIOTICS: If antibiotics were prescribed, please finish the entire prescription even if symptoms and signs of infection are gone.
SALT WATER RINSES: To further reduce pain and swelling, rinse with warm salt water after every meal. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water, then rinse for 1 min, swish and spit. For best result, please repeat every 2 hours.
HOME CARE: Continue to floss and brush 2 times a day. Your oral hygiene is crucial in the healing process.
TEMPORARY FILLING: a temporary filling is usually placed to protect the opening access in between appointments. Please be alert of the following instructions if a temporary filling was placed:
- Please avoid pressure or chewing on the tooth/teeth that have been treated until a permanent restoration has been placed.
- If root canal therapy has been initiated, additional appointment(s) will be required to complete the root canal therapy.
- If root canal therapy has been completed, the temporary filling must be replaced with a permanent restoration. A crown is highly recommended at a later time.
- Between appointments, it’s common (and not a problem) for a small portion of your temporary filling to wear away. If the entire filling falls out, please call our office so it can be replaced. HIGH BITE: should you feel the bite is high, please contact us immediately.
- Remember that even though your tooth may be comfortable, follow-up treatment is necessary!!!We expect your recovery period to be as uneventful as possible. However, if a question or concern should arise regarding your treatment or medication being taken, feel free to text or call our office at MirrorDentistry at (780) 489-9809, or email email@example.com